Friday, August 8, 2014

All Grown Up And No Place To Go

Hello and welcome to the first post in my new blog.  My concept here is simple- as an adult, I often wish I could feel all the wonder I did when I was a child, how it all seemed so vibrant and fun.  The world was an exciting place, and each day had promise!  And if that day fizzled, then tomorrow would be better.  At times I had trouble going to sleep, anticipating how awesome tomorrow would be and the new things it would offer.  Then I grew up.

Most of us have a point where we are no longer children- that is, we no longer let our imagination lead us as a child but look to parody the things of the grown-up world.  And that is where things go terribly wrong!  When did we forgo the innocent pleasures for the sad world we now live in?  When did we lose the capacity to enjoy simple things, to find happiness in the smallest of joys?  When did we let others do our thinking for us, let them order us around by convincing us that being a consumer sheeple was the way to live, the only gate to contentment?  I lost an important part of my life, trying to 'grow up' and I now regret it.

As an adult with 4 grown children, I have seen and been through a lot.  I have had great highs, and great lows.  I have been through just about every adult experience there is.  I don't like many of them.  I am also a Christian, so I have a unique perspective about the importance of being a child- I understand, or at least I am beginning to understand why Jesus thought so highly of children, as he said in Matthew 18:3, Verily I say unto you, Except ye be converted, and become as little children, ye shall not enter into the kingdom of heaven.  I used the King James, as I love the language.  It may not be an easy read, but I don't care- I love Shakespeare too and most have problems with that.  I don't find the language to be stilted.  I think is is pure poetry.

As a child, I did speak as a child.  When I became an adult I put aside childish things.  I now think I put aside the wrong things and did what was expected of me to conform.  I lost that ability to relate to the world as it is, to enjoy the simplest things and just be.  They expect us to do, to achieve so we have the purchasing power to buy what they are hawking.  We aren't expected to think for ourselves or anything that would cut the powers that be- TV, Wall St., the media, politicians- out of the prime positions they have claimed.  In short, they want all authority over us and I am tired of having them walk in my clean mind with dirty feet.  So I am reclaiming my childlike glee at the ripe old age of 52.

I want to blog about all the stuff that I loved and still love.  I have such a variety of interests it will tend to jump around a bit, but that's what this sort of forum is all about.  I intend to hit music, movies, books, science fiction, fantasy, TV shows, cartoons, history, just about anything that catches my fancy.  I intend to talk about the things that I left behind for the silly pretend world of adults that never made sense and it totally pointless.  I work, I make some money, I spend it on stuff.  What sort of life plan is that?  Well, it seems to be the one for the majority of my peers.  They usually wind up bitter and angry that things didn't go as planned, and take it out on everybody else. If they revisited childhood wonders they would never be bored, or feel cheated.  If I may quote Christian Rock pioneer Larry Norman, from Why Don't You Look Into Jesus,  
                                      Think back to when you were a child,
                                       Your soul was free, your heart ran wild,
                                       Each day was different, and life was a thrill,
                                       You knew tomorrow would be better still
Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment